W3C

– DRAFT –
Web and TV IG - Media APIs TF

02 April 2014

Attendees

Present
Alexander, Bin, Daniel, Giri, Kaz, Wook
Regrets
-
Chair
-
Scribe
Daniel, ddavis

Meeting minutes

<aldafu> aldafu=alex

<Bin_Hu> Hi, sorry I am late

Review action item and issues

Kaz: There's been a problem with the tracker (access is blocked). The sysadmins are looking into it but it's not fixed yet.

<kaz> Feb. 19 minutes

kaz: We can try to look at the action items recorded in the Feb 19 call minutes.

Bin_Hu: We can close issue 187

Bin_Hu: Next is issue 189 - accessibility guidelines. This is also closed as I added a general requirement

kaz: Daniel and I had actions to create wiki pages.

kaz: Maybe mine was 184 and Daniel's was 185

<aldafu> http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/actions/open

aldafu: I can see the action items.

ddavis: It's visible if you log out (or open in another browser)

<kaz> [ interesting situation... ]

Bin_Hu: Issue 182: Discuss with jc, bin about the details of how to create the cg

kaz: We discussed this and we can go ahead by proposing a new community group (CG)

kaz: The question is who would be the chair and what would be the name of the group

Bin_Hu: Can we close it?

<kaz> close action 182

<kaz> close action-182

<trackbot> Error closing: could not connect to Tracker. Please mail <sysreq@w3.org> with details about what happened.

<kaz> [ we'll close action 182, 184, 185, 187, 189 later ]

Bin_Hu: Outstanding issues are 186 and 188 which are assigned to Giuseppe (not here) so we'll leave these open.

Bin_Hu: So the wiki page Kaz created is just a place holder? No input or use cases yet?

<kaz> new idea wiki

kaz: right. I thought we could add one topic - audio fingerprinting - which was discussed on the mailing list a while ago.

kaz: The page itself is a placeholder and I've added a template.

Bin_Hu: Is this a standalone page?

kaz: It's linked from the main page.

kaz: If you prefer, I can link to it from the Media TF page.

https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Tuner_API

ddavis: This page is linked to from the Media APIs TF page.

Bin_Hu: Let's leave it there for now.

Media APIs requirements

Bin_Hu: Next is to look at and approve the gap analysis note.

Bin_Hu: I asked Giuseppe to create a page which he has done.

<kaz> Media API requirements

Bin_Hu: We haven't seen any comments on the mailing list so can we approve this or do we need more time?

ddavis: We did have some feedback a while ago, I think?

kaz: Maybe we can record our approval in this call and the see what the remaining people think through mail.

Bin_Hu: Yes, if we approve it then allow another one or two weeks to see if there are further comments by mail.

ddavis: +1

Bin_Hu: So I'll write a mail to see what people on the mailing list think.

ddavis: Any comments about this note?

Resolution: "Requirements from the Media API TF" note approved by meeting attendees.

Bin_Hu: So I think we've finished the administrative bits.

2nd iteration of use-cases/requirements

Bin_Hu: In the coming schedule we have the end of this month (April) as the last chance to submit a use-case.

Bin_Hu: We have no use-cases so I wonder if the schedule is too tight.

Bin_Hu: Maybe we can adjust the date from end of April to end of May.
… Then we'll have another two conference calls before the end of June to finalise the list.

ddavis: Maybe we can make it clearer to all people in the TV IG that we're looking for more use cases.

Bin_Hu: Yes, the chairs told me they want to make the Media API calls open to more people in the group.

Bin_Hu: So we can give more time and higher quality use cases.

ddavis: It might be good to also clarify how to submit use cases (e.g. by email, through a web form, etc.)

Bin_Hu: Ideally people should use the template that Kaz has made.

https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/New_Ideas

Bin_Hu: But if it's just a one-liner then we can add it for consideration in the conference call.

Bin_Hu: We can then decide whether to write a more detailed description of the use case or if it's out of scope.

Action: Bin Hu to add information in the wiki about submitting use cases

<trackbot> Created ACTION-190 - Hu to add information in the wiki about submitting use cases [on Bin Hu - due 2014-04-09].

Action: Bin Hu to send mail about submitting a new use case

<trackbot> Error creating an ACTION: could not connect to Tracker. Please mail <sysreq@w3.org> with details about what happened.

<aldafu> i can

Bin_Hu: So we can accept use cases in two formats

Bin_Hu: And I'll change the deadline from end of April to end of May

Possible "Tuner API" CG

Bin_Hu: How many people do you need for a Community Group, Kaz?

kaz: 5
… Theoretically you don't need a detailed charter but it's better to have a good description.

aldafu: Can we see how many companies are interested already?

Bin_Hu: It depends on the level of support.

Bin_Hu: AT&T and Opera seem to be interested. Maybe Qualcomm and ETRI as well.

gmandyam: Qualcomm Innovation Center would be interested in this. One concern is that whatever comes out of this group could be too late to make it into tech such as HbbTV.

gmandyam: Can we get some commitment from the other SDOs to support the output of this CG?

kaz: So we need a WG instead at some point?

gmandyam: Yes, but you don't have a lot of time.

gmandyam: HbbTV, for example, have progressed well with their own spec.

Bin_Hu: We need to move quickly if we want it to be adopted.

aldafu: As I understand it, the HbbTV spec is based on the OIPF spec, right?

gmandyam: Yes, but it also leverages some tech from W3C.

gmandyam: But the Tuner API is more specific so they may not be expecting much from W3C.

aldafu: Mozilla also has an interest to bring Firefox OS to TV so they would need something like this.

<Zakim> kaz, you wanted to suggest we ask HbbTV guys to join the CG

kaz: I think we should invite HbbTV guys and other SDOs to the community group. It doesn't require W3C membership, by the way.

Bin_Hu: That's a good idea.

Bin_Hu: Who would be able to contact the HbbTV participants?

aldafu: I can ask a colleague who's involved with this.

kaz: So you could start with Louay and Stephan. We could also ask Jon Piesing.

ddavis: For the record, they're already aware of our interest in this as it was discussed in the TV workshop.

Bin_Hu: From our perspective, which company is willing to drive this?

Bin_Hu: Or should we wait until the next call when we have a wider group of people involved?

ddavis: We could send a mail quickly asking for people who are willing to drive it and then see if there are others in the next call when we can decide.

Action: Bin Hu to send mail to TV IG asking for volunteers to drive the "Tuner API" initiative.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-191 - Hu to send mail to tv ig asking for volunteers to drive the "tuner api" initiative. [on Bin Hu - due 2014-04-09].

ddavis: We should make it clear that "Tuner API" is just a placeholder name - not decided yet.

Bin_Hu: I think there are three issues: Name, Scope, Chair

aldafu: Let me add some name ideas: TV Control API, TV Channel API, Channel Control API

aldafu: I agree, Tuner API doesn't really make sense

ddavis: Some people may not like having "TV" in the name, so that it's for the wider web and not TV specifically.

Bin_Hu: Maybe "Channel Control API" is a more logical concept.

kaz: Also "Media Selection" is possible

Bin_Hu: Anything else to add?

(silence)

Bin_Hu: OK, we're done for today, ahead of schedule.

Bin_Hu: The next meeting could be at a wider level for more participation hopefully.

Bin_Hu: Thank you for your help and support. See you next time.

<kaz> [ adjourned ]

Action: Bin Hu to send mail about submitting a new use case

<trackbot> Error creating an ACTION: could not connect to Tracker. Please mail <sysreq@w3.org> with details about what happened.

Summary of action items

  1. Bin Hu to add information in the wiki about submitting use cases
  2. Bin Hu to send mail about submitting a new use case
  3. Bin Hu to send mail to TV IG asking for volunteers to drive the "Tuner API" initiative.
  4. Bin Hu to send mail about submitting a new use case

Summary of resolutions

  1. "Requirements from the Media API TF" note approved by meeting attendees.
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 126 (Tue Nov 10 12:12:40 2020 UTC).

Diagnostics

Succeeded: s/cloe/close/

Succeeded: s/latter/later/

Succeeded: i/Next is/topic: Media APIs requirements/

Succeeded: s/resolution:/RESOLUTION:/

Succeeded: s/maade/made/

Succeeded: s/we should create the CG?/we need a WG instead at some point?/

Succeeded: s/light/late/

Maybe present: aldafu, Bin_Hu, ddavis, gmandyam